Till Vs Register

In the states the machine used to pay for things you buy is called a cash register, or the register for short.

In the UK it’s called the till.

I also confused a shop person at the Apple Store in Glasgow when I said I needed to “check out”. They don’t seem to use that term at all. Rather they just say the straight forward “I want to pay.”